Jonathan McGillivray is a senior associate at Resilient LLP. He maintains a specialized practice in all aspects of climate change and clean energy law. Jonathan assists our domestic and global clients on climate and net-zero strategy, ESG-I, carbon and sustainable finance, innovative carbon transactions (including emission reduction purchase agreements and carbon removal purchase agreements), biodiversity transactions, and energy regulatory compliance. Jonathan has appeared on behalf of clients before administrative tribunals (including the Ontario Energy Board) and various appellate courts.
Jonathan earned joint common law and civil law degrees from McGill University and is a past editor of the McGill Journal of Sustainable Development Law and past co-chair of the Green Law Committee at McGill University. Jonathan earned a Master of Arts in climate science and policy from Columbia University and holds a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in international development from the University of Guelph. Jonathan is the Chair of the board of directors of GreenPAC. He is co-lead of the Alumni Board for the M.A. in Climate & Society program at the Columbia Climate School. Jonathan was called to the Ontario bar in 2017 and is a member of the Law Society of Ontario.
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) / Bachelor of Civil Law (B.C.L.) – McGill University, 2016.
Masters of Arts (M.A.), Climate & Society – Columbia University, 2012.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Honours, International Development – University of Guelph, 2011.
DeMarco, L., McGillivray J. and Vollmer, D. (2020) “The New World of Climate Change and ESG Disclosure”. Energy Regulation Quarterly (Volume 8, Issue 4) (Full Article).
DeMarco, L. and McGillivray J. (2019) “Canada’s Existential Crisis over Climate Change Regulation: Tempest in a Teapot?”. Energy Regulation Quarterly (Volume 7, Issue 3) (Full Article).
DeMarco, L. and McGillivray J. (2018) “Canadian Carbon Pricing: Where Is It Going?”. Energy Regulation Quarterly (Volume 6, Issue 3) (Full Article).
DeMarco, L. and McGillivray J. (2017) “The Elephant in the Room: A Foreign Perspective on Potential Trump Administration Approaches to US International Climate Commitments”. IETA Insights, April 26, 2017 (Full Article).
Allan, T. and McGillivray J. (2017) “Undelineated Built-Up Areas: A Gap That Could Undermine the Growth Plan”. Commissioned by the Neptis Foundation (Full Report).
Allan, T. and McGillivray, J. (2016) “REVving Up: Legal & Policy Changes to Support EV Uptake—Leader Jurisdictions”. Proceedings of the EVS29 Symposium (June 19-22, 2016) (Full Article).
SELECTED SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- McGillivray, J. (2022) Guest Lecture: “Institutions of Carbon Markets”, Land Economics, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON.
- McGillivray, J. (2022) Guest Lecture: “Regulating the Low-Carbon Economy”, Energy Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Toronto Metropolitan University, Toronto, ON.
- McGillivray, J. (2022) Panelist: “Net Zero: Where to Start?”, Discussion on Carbon Offsets. EY (Montreal).
- McGillivray, J. (2022) Guest Lecture: “Climate Change Governance and Disclosure”, Corporate Governance, Thomson Rivers University Faculty of Law, Kamloops, BC (virtual).
- McGillivray, J. (2021) Moderator: “A Debrief on COP 26”. GreenPAC.
- DeMarco, L. and McGillivray, J. (2021) Co-moderators: “Getting to NETs-Zero: The Integral Role of Negative Emissions Technologies in Meeting the Paris Goals”. Make Climate Action Everyone’s Business Forum, presented by the International Chamber of Commerce.
- McGillivray, J. (2021) Panelist: “IETA LIVE Innovators Series: Scaling Carbon Removals”. International Emissions Trading Association, presented by Carbon Finance Labs and Green Certificate Company.
- DeMarco, L. and McGillivray, J. (2021) Co-moderators: “The Essential Role of Negative Emissions Technologies in Getting to Net-Zero”. Innovate4Climate 2021, presented by the World Bank Group.
- McGillivray, J. (2021) Panelist: “Case Closed: Following the Supreme Court Verdict, What is the Future of Carbon Pricing in Canada?”. North American Carbon World 2021 Virtual Conference, presented by Climate Action Reserve.
- McGillivray, J. (2021) Guest Lecture: “Carbon Pricing 101”. Environmental Applies Science and Management Program, Toronto Metropolitan University, Toronto, ON.
- McGillivray, J. (2019) Panelist: “Climate Policy Outlook: Common Ground or Battleground?”, Hosted by International Emissions Trading Association, Sussex Strategy, ClearBlue Markets, PwC, Toronto, ON.
- McGillivray, J. (2019) Speaker: “Carbon Finance Benefit-Sharing Agreements and Pathways to Carbon Rights”. Forum: Exploring the Possibilities for Indigenous-led Conservation and Carbon Storage in Canada, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON. (Report).
- McGillivray, J. (2018) Panelist: “Opportunities Across the Pond and Beyond”. ESA Energy Storage 28th Annual Conference & Expo, Energy Storage Association, Boston, MA.
- McGillivray, J. (2018) Guest Lecture: “The Legal Response to Climate Change and Carbon Pricing in Ontario”. Environmental Applied Science and Management Program, Toronto Metropolitan University, Toronto, ON.