The UNFCCC Secretariat today published informal reports on the technical workshops on Article 6.2 of the Paris Agreement that were held virtually between May 16 and 19, 2022. The technical workshops were held further to the Article 6.2 Guidance on cooperative approaches agreed at COP 26 in November 2021.
The technical workshops focused on Article 6.2 reporting rules and related infrastructure requirements, which are expected to influence how countries operationalize Article 6 through domestic legislation. Two informal reports and three supporting slide decks were published on the following topics:
- Tables and outlines for reporting required Article 6.2 information (informal report):
- Outlines for the initial report and regular information annex to the biennial transparency report (slide deck); and
- Agreed electronic format for annual information (slide deck)
- Options for implementing Article 6 infrastructure requirements (informal report):
- Registries and the international registry;
- The Article 6 database; and
- Centralized accounting and reporting platform (slide deck).
The Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA) will consider the outcomes of the technical workshops at its intersessional meetings set to take place in Bonn between June 6 and 16, 2022. The SBSTA is then expected to forward its recommendations for consideration and adoption at COP 27 in Sharm el-Sheikh, now set to begin one day earlier, on November 6, and run until November 18, 2022.
For further information or to discuss the contents of this bulletin, please contact Lisa DeMarco at firstname.lastname@example.org.